"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm,
and carry them close to his heart, and shall gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rachel's Tree

We planted a flowering crab tree in our front yard today! It was really a Mother's Day present but I soon thought of it as Rachel's tree.  I love that it will bloom flowers near or on the time of her birth! Sadly, I forgot to take a "before" shot - but just picture a really big ugly rock, surrounded by a creeping ground plant.  Somehow I think our battle is not yet done with this crazy plant....but we'll get you yet! Ethan was feeling pretty sentimental about 'his rock' and he wasn't too happy with it's new 'special' home in the car port.  We promised that we would put a few flowers around it in it's new location and told him that he could visit it any time.

 
It is so wonderful having my mother in law around!  Today, the kids got McDonalds and play time with Grandma! And I got a big project done today that has been hanging over my head for awhile.  I organized all the best pictures from our pregnancy to the present, in a file.  I am passing this on to someone at the Hospital who offered to make a photo book of Rachel's first year.  It was a big headache getting them sorted - we have pictures all over the place.  But it's finally done!  And what a fabulous gift! I am starting to realize that this is definetely something I would not want to work on after she dies.  And yet I want something that I can physically hold in my hands to cry over and maybe even share with people who come into our home. I found myself getting emotional looking at the pictures from her birth day.  What strong memories these photos evoke!  Tomorrow we move into the Flames House for about 5 days.  In about an hour or so, my mom arrives from Manitoba! I might still be awake.  I'm finding it very hard to turn off my mind today.  Maybe it is the walk down memory lane that did it for me.


God is Good. I have had the words to a song by Gungor in my mind the past few days.
You make beautiful things,You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of us
All around, Hope is springing up from this old ground
Out of chaos life is being found in You


God, help this little tree to live and to bear fruit.  In the same way, cause fruit to grow in our lives too.  As you did for Joseph, make us fruitful in the land of our suffering.   

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How precious that photo book will be for your family - such a precious little Rachel! Praying for you often as I and my daughter Angela (Kruse) check your blog almost daily. Love in Christ, Sharon Friesen (Rosenort)

Kara said...

The tree is a great idea. We did a photo book too of some of Calvin's early days and we look through it all the time. Thinking of you every day. I'm so glad your family is with you. Last weekend we were in the hospital again but my sisters came and cheered us up so. It's such a blessing to have family!

Kathy said...

The tree is a great idea and the book will be such a beautiful keepsake. Enjoy having your Mom and Mother in law!!

Anonymous said...

one more sleep - Rachel!!
love Laura

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy 1st Birthday Rachel! You are definitely one very special girl and God loves you very much!Your family is very lucky to have you. You're such a blessing to them. For someone as tiny, you're surprisingly strong!I love your smiles :)I know God is looking out for you and your wonderful family always. I will continue to pray for you and your family. Takecare always little angel! Have fun celebrating the one year filled of blessings that you are! - Lyn Juanillo

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st Birthday, beautiful little Rachel! May God bless you and your family on your birthday - praying you will have a wonderful day! How special to have a tree planted for you and a lovely photo book, too. You are such a special blessing to so many people.
Blessings, Sharon F

Evan and Mel said...

Hey Kendra,
We are just in the process of moving out of the country but I thought I would send you a quick note thanking you and Dave for coming to our going away party. Loved that would could meet Rachel, she is so precious!
Please feel free to follow our family blog documenting our journey. http://evanandmel.blogspot.com

We love you guys dearly.