"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm,
and carry them close to his heart, and shall gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tired and Sad

David just drove his mom to the airport. We are really going to miss her.  In fact, we really don't know how we would have made it without her this last week.  Rachel has been so unhappy - she has needed round the clock care and we are so wiped.  I wrote in the last post that maybe this was normal baby stuff.  But Rachel does have other challenges that my first two didn't.  By this time (7 weeks tomorrow) even our very collicky son was sleeping for short stretches at night.  And we are realizing that Rachel will likely never have what we call a "sleep pattern". She still needs to eat often because she tires quickly. Sometimes she will drink 20 mls, then fall asleep and want more 15 min. later.  Pooping seems to be a big strain on her.  We know that crying doesn't hurt her but we do have a rather heightened awareness of her - I can't relax totally at night because I wonder if she's silently gagging on her puke. (she seems too tired to clear it herself sometimes) So what's normal and what isn't?? We don't know.  But please pray that we can get some sleep soon.

We feel a deeper sadness these days and I'm sure that our exhaustion has something to do with that.

Here's a picture taken just before Mom (Grandma) left for the airport. Both Grandmas find it hard to be away and to leave us knowing they might not see Rachel again.  Rachel is growing on us all.   




It was so good to have her here - one morning she watched Rachel so that I could walk Ethan and Abigail to the splash park. I had shared awhile ago that I was feeling blob-ish (is that a word?) with lack of exercise. That really helped! And I finished off the brownies;) so the temptation is reduced for now!

Also, here are a few pictures that Jaci Enns took for us at Westwinds Park a few weeks ago.  I just got them today.  Thanks so much Jaci! (and Jolynne for being a great assistant) We had good weather and the kids were semi co-operative.  Rachel fussed for the last part which is why she has a huge green stopper in her mouth for some of the pictures. 





5 comments:

Janet said...

Oh my heart is so going out to you all..We are continuing to pray for your rest & peace of God...We say we are tired.GOD says:"I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28-30
Dear Jesus.Please give this precious family the rest they need.Amen
Much love & prayers
Janet M

Valerie Ruth said...

i love the photos! each and every one is awesome. and i like abigail's hair in ponytails! glad you got a bit of a breather and i'm glad you can go for respite next week. i just wish i could be there to help.

Kathy said...

The family pictures are beautiful and we will pray for rest and sleep for you in the next while. Glad that Grandma could come out and be a support to you, but sorry that she had to go.

Dani said...

I love the pictures - such amazing memories for all of you. I'm glad you're taking the chance to get some sleep and respite.

Brenda Funk said...

i love the pictures you had taken at the park. Absolutely beautiful. I know it takes a lot of effort to make these kind of things happen, but good for you that you did it. I feel guilty that today I get to rest and have the day all to myself, when I know how tired and busy you are. I feel like I left a good part of my heart in Calgary. Lifting you up to the Lord constantly....Love MOM