"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm,
and carry them close to his heart, and shall gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Comforter

This morning I was praying for a couple Dave and I know.  The husband has recenly been diagnosed with cancer.  Several Sundays ago I was talking with his wife and another friend.  My friend asked the question - Do you feel lonely? And she answered (with tears) by saying 'honestly, no.  I can truly say that I have not been lonely because the Holy Spirit has been my Comforter- a very real source of comfort for me." I wish I could remember her exact words, but what she said was deeply encouraging to me.  She spoke so honestly about her experience.  And today as I think back to that morning, I feel gratitude again to God who is meeting her in her darkest hour.  I know that He has been our Comforter as well.  In those first weeks after Rachel's diagnosis, His comfort was very real to me. Even then, there are times now that I feel overwelmed by the 'what if's' and questions about the future'.  How do I really know that God's comfort is real and not just my own imagination or hopes?  Will His comfort be enough? Hearing others testify to His presence helps me to trust Him to meet us (and you!) there too.  This is the Scripture I read this morning....

"I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the place of the dead, you are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there you hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me."
Psalm 139

1 comment:

Kara said...

That is comforting. I thank God for you Kendra, so often I read your blog and am encouraged how the Lord is faithful to both of our families. Much of what you say ministers to me. I love the pictures of your kids having fun with their cousins. So good see them being light hearted.